Spring has sprung!
Spring is a wonderful time of year, with signs of new life all around from the lambs playing in fields to the beautiful spring flowers. Some of these spring blooms, however, are toxic to pets. Plants that grow from bulbs are the main offenders. At this time of year this includes crocus, daffodils and tulips. Signs are often worst if the bulb has been ingested, however all parts of the plant should be considered toxic. Crocus toxicity can cause severe vomiting, gastrointestinal bleeding, liver and kidney damage and respiratory failure. Daffodils can cause gastrointestinal upsets and convulsions. Tulips can cause gastrointestinal upsets and affect breathing and heart rate. Large bulbs could also cause gastrointestinal obstructions if swallowed whole.
If you are concerned your pet has eaten a potentially toxic plant please contact us.
It is not just springtime plants that are toxic. Other potentially toxic house and garden plants include amaryllis, azaleas, cyclamen, diffenbachia, holly, hyacinths, lilies, mistletoe, oleanders, poinsettias and Christmas Tree pine needles.
Lilies deserve special mention as this popular house and garden plant is highly toxic to cats - severe kidney failure can result from ingestion of even a small amount of any part of the lily including petal, pollen and leaves. If you think your cat has eaten any part of a lily seek veterinary attention immediately.
Thank you to all who attended our evening meeting on Equine Grass Sickness. We had a good turnout with 75 in attendance. We hope you all found it an interesting and informative evening. We plan do do more evenings in the future and will keep you posted!
NEW - Routine Evening Horse Visits
On wednesdays we are now able to offer our equine clients evening appointments until 8pm for routine visits such as vaccinations.
Pet Oral Care Month
Throughout March, as part of Pet Oral Care Month 2010, we are offering free dental check ups with a Veterinary Nurse for all dogs and cats. All dogs that attend will be given free Pedigree Dentastix.
Dental disease is a very common problem in pets. Build up of plaque and tartar on the teeth not only causes bad breath and dental pain but also can be a cause of general ill health in animals including heart and kidney problems.
If you are interested please phone and make an appointment.
Due to demand we will be extending this service through April.